World Malria Day 25th April 2017 was a bit of a non-event in the UK probably because malaria isn’t a problem here but it is a serious problem if you live in, or visit, the warmer parts of the world.
Here are 3 statistics that are worthy of note:
- Cases: in 2015 there were 212 millions cases of malaria worldwide.
- Trend: since 2010 the number of cases has decreased by 21% worldwide
- Mortality: since 2010 the mortality rate has decreaed by 29% worldwide.
Source: World Health Organisation
Top tips to avoid infection:
- Avoid being bitten by wearing long sleeves and trousers.
- Be particularly vigilant at peak mosi times (dawn and dusk)
- Use a good repellent that contains DEET.
- Sleep beneath a mosi-net
- Treat mosi-nets with insecticide such as Permethrin
- Use a reliable malaria prophylactic (NOT Larium which has sideeffects)
- And finally … be aware of malaria symptoms and seek medical advice if concerned.